Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Math Work Stations Ch. 3

Wow! After reading this chapter, I can see that I have a lot to think about in the next 8 weeks. In implementing work stations, I'm going to have to really rework my math time. How scary and exciting at the same time!


There were a lot of great points I took from this chapter:
1. Model, Model, Model! This is something I have not been great about in the past. Reading the examples of management problems in the book sound like Debbie Diller might have been spying on my classroom:) In a rush to get to the next thing we have to do, I have shown students once what to do in a center and then have been frustrated when they haven't followed directions. I must slow down and model a lot more!
2. I Can... lists: It will be so tempting to write these before-hand, but she makes a good point that the students will get more out of them if they help make them. I like how she says to show them the materials in the work station to "plant the seed" and let them help create the activities. 
3. Math Talk Cards: What a great idea! I have been thinking about how I am going to move my math area into a corner of the room. I am planning on using the wall to create a math wall...what a great area to post math talk cards after they have been created! On p. 54, she really hooked me when she says "By adding supports like the "I Can" list and math talk cards at stations, you'll find that children's work will by more productive and focused."  Love it!!
4. Start slow. The biggest a-ha I've gotten out of this chapter is to slow down. I tend to panic and feel like I'm not doing enough, so then I try to do too much and it always backfires. She really emphasized that you have to take the time to teach procedures and expectations early-on so that as the year goes on, the problems are not overwhelming!


Well, I have a lot to think about in planning for the upcoming year! I'm excited though! I am looking forward to math being fun, productive, and to borrow a word, rigorous! I will keep you all updated to my plans!!!


P. S.: Did you see all the dust in the picture in my last post? How embarassing! Oh well, welcome to teaching in the desert:)

1 comment:

  1. Slowing down is hard. I think part of the reason is because we are always on the go. I think the benefits will be great. Now, if I can remember that in September when I am trying out these routines with kinders who may or may not have had any school experience.

    ReplyDelete